Daily D – John 21:19
John 21:19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”(NIV)
How often do you have to be reminded of your calling? How many times do you have to be told what to do before you do it?
Here on this same lake three years before while Peter and his brother Andrew were fishing, Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me,” (Matthew 4:18-20).
Here on the other side of the resurrection and Peter’s desertion, Jesus has several instructions for Old Saint Pete.
- He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish, (verse 6).
- Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you have just caught,” (verse 10).
- Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast,” (verse 12).
- When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs,” (verse 15).
- Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep,” (verse 16).
- The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep,” (verse 17).
- Then he said to him, “Follow me!” (verse 19).
- Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me,” (verse 22).
A couple of notes are in order.
- Jesus is a better fisherman than Peter.
- Where Jesus guides, he provides.
- Jesus provides what we need when we need it.
- Jesus restores rebels and deserters.
- Jesus reminds us of what is most important.
- Jesus keeps us focused on our responsibilities and not the responsibilities of others.
Which one of these observations is most important to you today? What will you do in response to this reminder?
I will follow Jesus wherever he leads.
Our Father, when I follow your directions, when I walk in your steps, when I do what you say, life has a way of working out for the best. How could I choose to do anything differently than to follow your will and your way? Amen.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Interested in learning more about Church Unique or Life Younique? Send a note through the Get In Touch box or Message me through the Facebook link above.
GET IN TOUCH!
READ MY BLOG!
2 Corinthians 3:17, 18 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
1 Corinthians 10:23, 24 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.